The transition of Michael being out of the house is going ok. He has been good at keeping in contact, so that is nice. Ryan and I even had a video Skype conversation with him last Friday. I am still not sure Ryan really got what was happening! There are random moments when I get reminded that Michael is not home. Like last week when I automatically grabbed four plates from the cupboard. And definitely when I am doing one of the chores he used to do around here! He is enjoying his classes, he is on a club ultimate frisbee team, and he has been going to some of the campus ministry youth group gatherings. I am not sure of the 'looking for a job' status.
Unfortunately there was an 18 year old freshman boy that went missing from WWU the first weekend of the school year. He was at an off campus party, was seen leaving at 2am, and then not seen since. The community helped look for him around the Bellingham area. From what the news reports say, he was a good student from Auburn (a town south of here, by my parents). He was about the same build as Michael. It just broke my heart thinking of what his mom was going through. It does not have a happy ending. Eight days after he went missing, his body was found in the Bellingham Bay. No sign of foul play. I am not sure we will ever know the full story. It is so sad. And when I see Michael-which will be this weekend sometime-he is getting a huge hug!! He is coming home to help out at the Husky football game.
Kelsey is continuing to have a busy schedule. Work is not something she enjoys. And it is more frustrating when she asks for a day off (because the team is going out of town for a meet) and they don't give it to her. And they say for her to find someone to cover her shift, which thankfully she finally did. We had her speech/ breathing appointment. Both of us enjoyed the therapist. She showed Kelsey some better positions for keeping her airway open. Now, it is a matter of practice-to change the way you have been breathing for 16 years is not an easy task. She has had some success with it in her racing. For her, she is just irritated that she is running slower than she was last year. But, I am happy she is finishing the races! We are heading to Ocean Shores on the Washington Coast today. The team has race in Hoquiam tomorrow. The weather forecast does not look great-bummer! Keep your fingers crossed that I make it back this year without any drama, like I had last year. And that all of the drivers/kids make there and back safely. We don't have the school van to use this year, so there are more of us out on the road for this trip. Maybe this is where I will add that I am not taking our van this weekend. Pat will be doing some work on it. Kelsey had a run-in with a pole in the high school parking lot. As she was leaving, she says "a lady in a big car talking on her phone" was turning into the lot. Kelsey tried to get out of her way, and scraped the passenger side of the van on a low pole. She thought it was just a scrape. However, it was hit hard enough to bend the inner metal of the slider door. Scenario: pay $1000 deductible, and have insurance go up $300/year, or pay out of pocket at an estimate of $3300. OUCH!! Thankfully, I have a husband who can do things. He found an exact paint and interior match for both doors at a junk yard for less than $500!! So, this is hopefully what he will be doing, while we are away for the weekend.
Back to Michael coming home-which I will be gone for some of the time. Big bummer. I hope to see him Sunday morning (maybe late Saturday night, if I am not too tired).
Quick foot update: I am going to try specially made orthotics for my shoes. The casting for them was done last week. I pick them up on the 18th. Still not sure when I can get back to running. My foot does feel better. It will occasionally ache, but there are no more sharp stabbing pains in the heel!
One more story to share. We were at a golf course in Marysville last weekend, for an invitational xc meet. There were 55 schools there. One of the schools happened to have a senior running that I have known his entire life! His mom and I both worked at Northwest Hospital labor and delivery when we were expecting our first babies. We each had a boy, both named Michael, four months apart. Lisa and I job shared, and then watched each other's Michael on our off days. We each had another child 18months-2 years later. We were quite close for many years. They moved to another town (20 min away or so), and we have kept in touch with Christmas cards, and we used to visit each other. But, life gets busy. So, I hadn't seen this Michael for quite a few years. It was so fun to watch him run! And he was nice enough to let me hug him.
Okay-I think that catches me up on most things. I do have a few pictures. Shocking, I know.
| Lisa Blaise walking the 3 Day, on day 2. |
| the kids in the Terrace jersey tops |
| yep-ouch |
| some of the girls team this week |
1 comment:
hope to hear it's a drama free weekend! Lots going on, hang in there korrynie! Love ya!
Post a Comment