Sunday, October 24, 2010

homecoming activities plus some

On Wednesday I had a follow up with my podiatrist. As, I predicted-I am "this" close to being cleared to run, but not yet. And he warned me that when he says I can restart it means it will be very slowly. My first outing will likely be 5 minutes total-with walking/running alternate minutes. I now have official orthodics for my shoes. I wore them in my hiking boots to a meet yesterday, and today my heel is sore. That is depressing, aren't they supposed to help, not hinder? And to be honest to my blog readers, I am still actively researching the whole barefoot phenomenon. Kelsey and I each got a pair of what we call toe shoes (made by Vibram). They are like gloves for your feet. I have just had them on for a little bit mid-week, walking around the house and out to get the mail. They are interesting, as each toe is in it's own pocket. My toes haven't been separated like that since my toe sock days many years ago! We will see.
I missed Dawg Dash today. It was made a little easier by the fact that it was pouring all morning. And by how slowly this recovery is going, I don't see myself ready to run any of the holiday runs either. boo.

So, onto homecoming fun: Kelsey didn't have school on Friday. Around 4pm, I dropped her off at the high school, to get ready to help with the running of the football. It is the high school's tradition to have the cross country team run the football from our school to the stadium over by Edmonds-Woodway High School. 

(picture curtesy of a friend at the game)
And she had been chosen to help out for her sports med class during the game. I normally go to the homecoming game, but this year-I opted to go with Pat up to Bellingham to take Michael out to dinner after mid-terms. We went to a buffet at Chuckanut Manor. Michael's roommate, Tennyson, and his mom, joined us also. It was nice to spend time with them! And deliver some more food supplies to them. 

***side note***when I was dropping the Kennedy kids off at Paul's office, I was having issues with my cell phone. I forget how much 3 year olds absorb-seriously-they are sponges!! Ryan was kind enough to tell his dad, later, that I had said dammit! Great babysitter, I know. 

Ok, back to homecoming: our football team won their game 14-13. Yay! 
Saturday was the WESCO district meet. The rain managed to stay away for most of the meet. Kelsey had a GREAT race. She said her breathing was bothering her, but she was able to stay on top of it, and beat her time from this same course last year by 25 seconds! Next Saturday is the meet that determines who goes to state. Our girls team have an outside chance to get into the 3rd spot to qualify. We shall see. 
check out Kelsey's cool new spikes!
Kelsey and Rachel after they both had their best races of the season!
Love these two! Jaclyn after her last xc race.

After the meet, we had a couple hours at home before Kelsey was getting picked up for the homecoming dance. I wish I would have taken a picture of her with her hair and make up done, but still in her xc running jersey. Classic! 

Ben and Kelsey

Brianne, Kevin, Kelsey and Ben-before they joined the larger group of 20 kids!

No comments: