On Friday, Pat left for Berlin. Microsoft is having a trade show there right now. He's gone to trade shows and work trips before, but this is the longest he has been away. It will be 10 days total. Yes, of course, I am envious. Not of the work he has to do, but of the location. Neither of us had been to Berlin. If it weren't November (one of the crazy times at work, not the best weather there, and that it conflicted with the state xc meet had the girls made it) I might have really considered joining him. But I didn't.
I am home with Kelsey this week. I have been spoiled by Pat helping with the cooking around here. He is the better cook. Kelsey just didn't jump on the direct hints that I gave, stating that on my work days, she could come up with a dinner idea. And, I haven't been sleeping well. I'm used to a person being next to me. It could also be the lovely cold I am trying to talk myself out of getting!!
I've done a couple chores that I have put off for a while: hooked up the DVD player to the tv in our room, descaled the espresso machine and I scraped more popcorn ceiling crap off the upstairs hallway. Eventually we hope to have nice ceilings throughout the entire house.
Switching over to medical updates: I had another podiatrist appointment today. He had made orthodics for me and I was having more pain in the heel again. He reassured me that this can be a normal transition. And upon palpation of my injured area, he felt it was still improving. I did not like the fact that some of the pain was back. I felt like the progression all of a sudden was going backwards. I joined a neighborhood gym. I finally gave in to the fact that I won't be running any time soon. And we only have an elliptical here at the house. The cross training that I am allowed to do is ride a bike or swim. I was not getting out on the street bike as much I needed, or to the pool at all. So, now I get to the gym to do the stationary bike, and some core/ab work-outs. It feels good to get my heart rate up again. But with that 74 degree day last week, and a crisp sunny autumn day today-I still miss getting out for a run.
Now Kelsey-with cross country season being over, we wanted to get her "fixed." She will likely go to the speech therapist again during the off season. But another issue she has had this year is shoulder/neck pain. I took her to a massage therapist early in the season. It might have helped more had she not been in a friend's car with a fender bender the following day.
I considered physical therapy to get that area stretched. Her doctor wanted to rule out any bone cause-so we saw a orthopedic doc (in the same office as my foot doc). As we suspected, there is no bone problem. But since she ran with the tight shoulders all season (likely a result of her needing to compensate for her breathing issues by raising her shoulders) she has given herself bursitis in the left scapula area. And just a tight trapezius all over. So, off she goes to PT two times a week, for six weeks. The goal is for her to practice her new breathing techniques while using good shoulder/arm form to improve her whole running experience. Here's hoping. :)
Okay-time for me to go get dinner going. Kelsey has a team sleep over to get to tonight. No school tomorrow or Friday. I think after she leaves tonight, I am going to tuck myself upstairs and watch Slumdog Millionaire or The Blind Side. Michael comes home again on Friday. We are going to see STOMP! I think I am driving him back up to Bellingham on Saturday.

p.s. Happy Veteren's Day to all that have served our country. Most especially to my dad! Love you Dad!
No comments:
Post a Comment