Sunday, November 21, 2010

great books, movies, and memories

Yesterday we saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1. This is the first half of the 7th and final book in the series. Thank you Microsoft for getting us tickets! A free movie makes it even that much better. As a family, we have seen the first four movies together. But what is even more special to me, was that we read the books together. More specifically, I read each book out loud to the kids, as they were released. So, this all began in late 1998, or early 1999. Michael was almost 7, Kelsey 5.
I already put some of my favorite reading memories on facebook. But I will repeat and add more here.
1) I totally mispronounced Hermione's name, until I heard J.K. Rowling on an interview say it correctly.
2) The three of us in our bed-trying to read as quickly as possible to find out what happens next. Then anxiously awaiting the release of the next book.
3) Discussing the subject matter of these books with my mom.
4) Pat quickly reading it on his own, and finishing it within days of starting.
5) Kelsey reading each book again immediately after we finished it out loud. She was not allowed to read it on her own, until we finished it together.
6) Summer 2000, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (4th book) is released. This book is longer than the previous books, at 734 pages! I read it during our road trip to California, to Hugh and Hanh's wedding. Loved that vacation!
7) Michael's Harry Potter costume for Halloween.

















8) I am not sure what book we were reading when we had our most intense moment. We were outside in the front yard on a nice day, when two pit bulls came charging up the street at us. I had not seen these dogs before this, or since-but they did not seem playful. Pat scared them away, I think with a broom.

The movies started in 2001, and like I said above, we went to the first four as a family. Thanks to Kerri for getting us into a couple of these movies! By the time the 5th movie was released, the kids were older and went with friends. And, Pat hadn't been horribly impressed with the movies. He and Kelsey remembered more of the book details, so if the movie missed something-they knew it.
It was nice to get back to the theater to see one of the movies. Michael, we missed you!
I thought the movie was great. And my two book-detailed oriented family members approved of it, and enjoyed it also.  I look forward to seeing Part 2!

No comments: