Sunday, April 25, 2010

track and other updates

Track is about competing-but also about friendships.  My kids have some great friends.  And, it is fun cheering for them all.  This week had two meets.  Thursday was against two local schools.  Kelsey was 1st place in the 800m race.  And Michael was 1st in his two mile race.  So, even though Michael wasn't thrilled with his time-it was fun to have them beat the other runners on this particular day! Here are the kids and just a few of their friends:

Saturday was the second meet of the week.  It was an invitational over at South Whidbey high school.  There were 12 schools all together.  Kelsey ran a personal best in the mile and was third in her race.  Michael ran a second slower than his best time in the mile. He still finished 7th overall. 
Right after their two races, the cold rain came in!  Brrrr.  This is me just messing around with my camera from my seat in the jeep, on the ferry ride home.  I didn't have my camera out in time to get a picture of the sea lion swimming nearby.


I realized that the car drama took precedent on my blog last week.  To update you all on my foot progress-I took one week off from running.  The morning hobble was gone by the day after the cortisone shot. I am living in running shoes with the superfeet.  I do have an occasional twinge in my arch.  Not sure what that pain is from.  So, I am cautiously optimistic at this point.  I have not run more than 4 miles yet.  But, my feet do not hurt afterwards.  So that is good-right?

The other "drama" in our week was focused around Kelsey's school schedule next year.  We found out a few weeks ago that not enough kids enrolled in the AP US History class for next year.  So, that class was being dropped.  With all the budget cuts that schools are doing, they can't justify a class size of 17 students.  She is disappointed.  She still has 2 AP classes to take next year, but history is her favorite subject.  During this time, I was hearing that the history teacher that Kelsey would get, and likes, is getting surplussed.  This means that she is low seniority in the history department, and the school is needing to decrease the staff.  The news became public in the school this week, and Kelsey now knows.  So, not only does Kelsey not get AP history next year, she doesn't even get a teacher we love.  :-(

I went to the superintendent's budget meeting this week.  2.5 hours of depressing facts.  It is just so hard to make cuts in schools. Everyone has their passion on what should stay. Some items on the chopping block: decreasing more staff, increasing class size, limiting bussing, pay more for sports, pay some for music, maybe even close down some schools eventually.  I do not envy the district employees that have to make these hard decisions.  The school district sued the state for not supporting public schools, and they won-but the state is appealing.  There is just no money out there.  Unfortunately it affects our kids and the future for us all.  I hope the economy can get back on it's feet, and get the schools back in full function.  Yes, we only have two years left.  But, I have a nephew and niece that will be starting in two years. They deserve good public education!!


p.s. one more thing-Michael brought home his cap and gown this week. it really is happening. we are down to less than 2 months!! ......must not fall apart.......

1 comment:

Amy and Matt said...

thanks for the update korrynie! Love hearing all the drama I will have to encounter someday with the schools!