I did collage pictures for the rest of our trip. I was getting overwhelmed on getting so behind on my blogging, but I felt I needed to complete the vacation part first.
![]() |
| The Austrian Alps via our train window. Munich train station. Kids in the sleeper car. We made it to Berlin! |
After a somewhat sleepless night on the train (even with a nice private sleeper car), we arrived in Berlin at 8am local time. Our hotel let us check our bags, and off we went to do a city bike tour. This next set of pictures shows some pictures from that tour and the next day we signed up for another tour in Potsdam, where a lot of the palaces were built in Park Sanssouci.
Berlin Cathedral (Berliner Dom). Pergamon Alter and Ishtar Gate in the Pergamon Museum. Berlin Zoo (without Knut). Olympastadion, built for the 1936 summer Olympics.
Oh my gosh-the FOOD was amazing!!! Honestly we could have eaten in their train stations every meal. Sounds so weird, but they have the best fresh sandwiches and pretzels. mmmmm....Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of the station food.
It won't let me add an official caption. grrr. Anyway, Michael and Pat enjoying a local beer garden. Scnitzel. Kaiser Wilhelm in chocolate. (the real church was under construction). Doner Kebab by the Turkish market. And, my yummy sweetened malt beverage.
The crossing signs here are the best. They even have stores selling a ton of items with the crossing man logo, or locally called Ampelmann.
Ok, I know Berlin really didn't get the blogging it deserved. We all enjoyed it. The kids even said that they were glad to have seen Rome and Venice, but would go back to Berlin. It is a really tolerant modern city. Their transportation system is phenomenal, the food is delicious, and the city is surrounded by amazing history.
It's been so long since I began blogging about this trip I'm not sure if I mentioned this before. But I would spend 24/7 with all of my family anytime. I will really treasure the time spent with Michael and Kelsey since they are beginning their adult lives, and we may not have this time together for a while, if ever again. I will part with this picture of icebergs/mountains over Greenland taken on our flight home.
![]() |






No comments:
Post a Comment