Sunday, September 5, 2010

changes....

Summer time is officially ending. Kelsey goes back to school on Tuesday. This week was very focused on the return to cross country season. Wednesday night we had the nine girls on the team here for a sleep-over. The girls worked on their team shirts that they make each year. What makes this year a little different is that my friend from nursing school, Joanna (the one I go to Flower World with every spring) has a daughter that decided to run this year. I have known Rachel since she was born! She and Kelsey ran together in middle school. But then Rachel chose soccer last year, as a freshman. It is fun to see Kelsey and Rachel on the high school team together  :-) The day after the sleep-over, the team had it's time trial. This is where the team runs against each other to get an idea of their race times. Teachers and alumni are always welcome to join in. Well, this year, Michael's group of friends all ran in it. So, NOW, I think I am done watching Michael race!
2010 girls team (Rachel is on Kelsey's left)
 boys alumni team
For those of you who remember me talking about Kelsey's struggles last year, they have not gone away. She still battles this vocal cord dysfunction, and is trying to learn to race/run without triggering an "attack." Unfortunately there is not much I can do to help. We are going to try yoga in the near future to see if she can learn other relaxation techniques.
Okay, so immediately following the time trial, we had the parent meeting with the coach. Then following the meeting we had the 2nd annual "steak-off" at our house. It is a team oriented event, where kids or parents season a steak, and it is judged. Last  year we had a few participants. This year, since we hosted the event in the evening-we ended up having about 35 people here!! It was fun, but crazy. I really liked having so many of the parents involved.

So, change #1) Kelsey going back to school.
#2) Kelsey got a job! Just as Michael is leaving the Mountlake Terrace Albertsons, Kelsey will be starting there. The bummer about the timing is that she will miss the first invitational race next Saturday. The store does not have orientation on holiday weekends, and so next Saturday is the day. I am not sure if I will still be going to the meet to watch and support the rest of the team.
#3) Little Kathryn is cruising! Thankfully this time around, I have Ryan as an extra pair of eyes (and he will inform me of what she is doing!).
#4) I am going to be working more. This will happen in a couple ways: I signed up to work an extra half a day on Thursday mornings.  It starts out with the timing of flu clinics. Then I will be filling a hole as one of our nurses will be cutting down her hours when she becomes a mom. (so excited for you, Amy!) Our office has also decided to begin extending our hours in November. We will have some early morning, and later evening appointments available. I am not sure what I will be doing to help out with this scenario yet. But we are all expected to help, if we can.

Well, that is my blog for the week. I am going to add a few more pictures:
Ryan
Kathryn waving to Ryan outside
We did not plan to dress alike! I'm with Dory and Amy, my running, teacher friends!
change #5) added after my initial post:
Our pink dogwood that has been here since we moved in almost 17 years ago is now gone. We knew this was coming, as it hasn't really bloomed in two years and I noticed some rot at the base of the trunk last winter.
the last picture I had taken of the dogwood, this June
today