Sunday, September 12, 2010

one more week and a little stress

This time next week we will be driving Michael up to Bellingham. I have such mixed emotions about this adventure. One one hand, I am so excited for him to begin his college experience. I have wonderful memories of college life and still have very good friends from those days. On the other hand, my son is moving out. My baby boy, the one I could once cradle in my arms. Now he's all grown up and heading out to begin his adult life. The life where he can choose how much time he wants to spend back with his family. I know I will miss him terribly. But, I am proud of who he has become: Go get 'em, Michael!

Kelsey is starting her junior year with a lot of stress. In addition to her school schedule, which includes a couple AP classes, she has cross country practice every day after school, and now will start going in early for a workout a couple mornings a week. I've already discussed her battles with running. She is taking a sports med class, which will require 90 hours of "field time" per semester. This can be going to the trainer after school, or attending other athletic events to log her hours. Since she is an athlete, she gets a 20 hour credit. Now factor in a job. She missed her first cross country meet yesterday, for orientation. And, is having guilt for missing it. She worries about disappointing her coach. This week, she works 2-3 hours M, T, W, and F-usually right after xc practice, and during dinner time. Thursday she is not working because she has a meet after school. Bottom line: I am concerned. I hope this isn't too much-will something have to give? She is a stellar student, but what if her grades drop? Will she be able to get into her dream college? I have to admit the the job thing is more Pat's doing. He has worked full time since he was 14 years old (but didn't do sports, or care about a social life). Michael has worked since he was 14 also, but his class load was not has intense as Kelsey's. Pat expects the kids to help pay their insurance, and we expect them to put gas in the car they drive. I do admit that having a job is a great thing and learning money management, taking responsibility of costs in life are good life lessons. But, I also feel that high school is a one time deal-time to have some fun, do team sports and keep her grades up. She may step up to these added challenges and do just fine. These are just my worries at this point. My mommy worries.

Another change! I retired the KIDZONE plate on my van. It was time. I could not come up with an appropriate "zone" theme personalization, so I went to a specialty plate. This one supports state parks, and I do like that it has a P & K on it!
Even though Kelsey couldn't go to the meet on Saturday, I tagged along with Joanna to watch all the kids run (and take pictures!) This view was on our way up to Bellingham.  Yes, I will be making this trip a little more often in the next few years.
The team got new uniforms this year.  Here are the senior girls with their former coach, Katrina.  Katrina is now coaching at a school in Bellingham. We miss her on our team. 

my new flag! and a Husky win this weekend :o)

1 comment:

Marcia Bosma said...

Hey Korryn,

I just want to give you a little encouragement about your worries with how busy Kelsey is going to be. I think it's great that you are paying attention to her schedule and realizing ahead of time how much this is for her to handle. But there is also great value in everything she is doing - her tough classes, her sports, and her job.

When I was in high school, everybody had a job. And we all played sports, took college prep classes, and did various other extracurricular activities as well. I think one of the blessings in that busyness was that I learned a lot about discipline, prioritizing tasks to get the right things done when needed, and how to have balance in life. Yes, sometimes it was stressful. But I have GREAT memories of high school and can't imagine doing it any other way. I worked about 8-12 hours a week at a local restaurant, and my parents were the same as Pat - they thought having a job was necessary for us to learn money management and simply a good work ethic. They wanted us to know that it didn't matter if we were the captain of the basketball team and at the top of our classes - we also had to show up on time to work, sometimes doing jobs that weren't all that fun (bussing tables) - because that is real life.

You'll be able to tell if Kelsey needs to lessen her load - she seems like she has a good head on her shoulders and will talk with you about it if she's too overwhelmed. But she may surprise you - she will probably excel and step up to the challenge, and feel really fulfilled because of it!

Congrats on sending Michael off to college - I can hardly imagine it! You have much to be proud of with your two awesome kids!