Sunday, March 14, 2010

my weekend of running

I am fortunate to live in an amazingly beautiful part of our country.  It has to be one of the best places to run.  Saturday was a brisk, mostly sunny day.  My running buddy, Dory and I set off for an 11 miler.  This was a new run for us. I mapped it, and off we went.  Now, we know that anywhere we run in Seattle will be hilly.  And, it was!  Also, you learn when you map something, it may not be the most pedestrian friendly.  There was a section of curvy road leading down to the water that ended up not having a sidewalk, or a shoulder.  But now we know there are stairs! This picture is only half of the staircase, which we were fortunate to be able to head down, instead up! 
This was taken from the same point as above.  Through the trees is the Puget Sound. (see what I mean-beautiful!!)            







Shilshole Marina













We continued to run along the waterfront and train tracks. At one point we even cross the train tracks, and not on a bridge....actually crossing the tracks.  We ran through Ballard, a fairly industrial then retail area.  Next-the time had come -the big ridge ahead, called Phinney Ridge.  Okay-so we walked the intense uphill climb.  We made it to the zoo at the top!  Phew-now we were on the "downhill" part, and within sites of our finish.  I was running down a path in Lower Woodland Park, when I heard a thud.  Unfortunately Dory had rolled her ankle and was down.  We walked/jogged the remaining 1.5 miles.  She was a trooper!

We made it the 11 hilly miles-with a little "twist" at the end.


SUNDAY:
After an hour less of sleep thanks to daylight savings, I am up and out of the house by 7am.  It is the annual St. Patty's Dash.  The 11th year of running/walking with my sisters and Dad.  This year the weather was SO much better than the sloppy snowy mess of last year.  It the 2nd year of the new route-still not a fan, but I understand the logistics for the change.  The old route had us park by the football and baseball stadiums, and they bussed us to the start.  We were able to run along the viaduct, which is along the water.  Now we start and finish in the same area, no longer running along waterfront, and also no longer needing the buses. 
Dad and his daughters:


And of course the highlight of our day, is going out to breakfast after the race.  We love 14 Carrots!  Great food and company, as always.  

1 comment:

Amy and Matt said...

sounds like you had a great weekend! Great pics girl!