I am still processing that it is done. Michael is out of high school-in a few months he will be moving out to go to college. I know this is cliche-but seriously-wasn't I, myself, just in this spot?
It was such an incredible evening. The clouds hung heavy and thick throughout the day, with rain every so often. So, my original plan of wearing a new skirt was ditched. It was too cool to sit outdoors in a skirt. Well, at least the pants covered up my walking boot! We got there early enough to get good seats. This group included my mom and dad, my grandma (Michael is her first great-grandchild), my sisters, Kelsey, and Michael's girlfriend, Jaclyn. We were also sitting next to the Rink family. Ciara and Michael have gone to school together since kindergarten. Her mom, Taira and I have been co-prez of the elementary school PTO, on the parent committee together at the middle school, and team moms of cross country/track at the high school. Let's just say that we've been through a lot together over all of these years.
The weather was actually cooperative. It was cool, but not cold. No rain, and we didn't have to stare directly into the setting sun.
So, the orchestra/band begins to play "Pomp and Circumstance" and the faculty walk in. I had warned my sisters that if I was going to cry, it would likely be at this point. I did okay until I saw Michael. {Insert side note that as I am typing this I had to go get a kleenex. Writing this up is making me teary. I thought that waiting a few days to post this would be ok-nope-still emotional about it, I guess}. Krista, who says she is going to punch me if I make her cry (us sisters just do that-if one cries, we all do), leans over to me and says "look at his smile." And she already has tears in her eyes too. I am proud to say that I just got teary a couple times, didn't really cry. I needed a kleenex more right now, than I did that night.
Michael joins the choir one last time to sing the national anthem, and a couple other songs. It was a nice ceremony. I enjoyed all of the speeches. When it was done, it was chaos, trying to find everyone. Many pictures were taken. Lots and lots of smiling faces. It really was a fun time. The evening ended with Michael getting on a charter bus to have his all night grad party. He really couldn't stop smiling :-)
| Coach Bean, from Mariner HS, has cheered on Michael and Ciara when running, since 9th grade. |
| Moms together since Kindergarten: Lisa (Ben Miller's mom), and Taira (Ciara Rink's mom) |
| The cross country senior boys. |
| The orchestra group |
| getting ready for their all night party |
Now if there are any of you that care to look at all the pictures, here is a link to my gallery. MTHS Graduation
The tears are gone for now. I am sure there will be more to come as he gets ready to move on to his next stage of life. And, I only have two more years until I am going through it again with Kelsey.
It should also get mentioned that the same day as our oldest graduated from high school, it was Pat and my 21st wedding anniversary. Maybe we will celebrate it next year.



2 comments:
Got all teary again, just reading about it! I am SO glad you got a picture of that smile he flashed as he was walking in. It's a proud, joyous grin. A job well done needs to go out to his Mommy. Pat yourself on the back. As our Dad would say, "You done good".
Very exciting, Korryn. Since I've been gone for 5 years already, it is almost unbelievable for me to think that Michael is a high school graduate! When I first met him, he must have been about 8 years old! What a neat son you have, and what a great job you guys have done in getting him to this point in life. He is very lucky to have an awesome mom like you!
Post a Comment