During our boys' senior year of high school, I had my Fridays free. I had been invited to join in the Friday coffee group. These gals had been meeting for coffee for quite a few years as often as they could. They had parented together since the elementary years. I knew all but one of these moms, and they all accepted me into their Friday routine. Now I feel so blessed to have had that time with Sheila. Three of us moms were going through this graduation year with our oldest kids. The other two had been through it before, but had seniors that year as well. My friendship with these women is stronger thanks to these coffee meetings. It was bitter sweet to lose my free time for those Fridays. (Don't get me wrong-so excited that my brother in law was employed again. And for the opportunity to watch my niece and nephew!)
I saw Sheila this summer at a friend's BBQ. Little did I know this would be the last time I see her. She looked great. It wasn't until the homecoming assembly at the high school (now our daughter's are seniors) that I knew something wasn't right. She wasn't there. Sheila was ALWAYS there! I saw some of the coffee gals at the game that night, and they said they just found out that she had been admitted to the hospital. She never really recovered after that.
Today's service was at St. Brendan's church. I attended the Rosary service and the funeral mass. The Rosary service was quite moving, much smaller group and some of her family got up to speak after. Kelsey chose to wait with some friends, and then we went into the full service together.
Sheila would be so proud of her kids. They were amazing. So strong, so beautiful.
| Sheila at the Microsoft picnic |
![]() |
| summer BBQ last August (she is in the black sweatshirt with white capris) |
The other difficult event for me this week was saying good bye to my family doctor, Dr. Peter Hohn. He is leaving primary care. He delivered Michael and Kelsey, and I also worked with him for many years at Northwest Hospital when I worked labor and delivery. He just can't keep his practice open, since his partner retired and he hasn't been able to find another. Plus in today's medical world, it's hard to be a solo practitioner. I'm not excited about finding another doctor, but such is life. I'm thankful to have had him as my doctor for over 20 years.
Here he is with Michael in 1992, and Kelsey in 1994.
On the positive side for this week. Pat, Kelsey and I had a wonderful dinner with a great friend and her family on Thursday.


1 comment:
rough week korrynie...hang in there.
Post a Comment